On May 22, Goths across the world celebrate their subculture with a day of parties, concerts and events. An unofficial web site lists activities around the world. It also includes a handy list of favorite Goth things. Favorite author? Neil Gaiman. Favorite Band of the ’80s? Sisters of Mercy. Favorite Band of the ’90s? Fields of the Nephilim
Though, not Goth, your Tumblr has a soft spot for Siouxsie Sioux (“Christine” video above).
The day whipped up an email conversation between DiscoveryNews Editors, who all work remotely. So this was kind of our watercooler chat of the day. Here’s a snippet below:
From Earth Editor Christine Reed (How Goth is that title?)
I swear Goth has changed since the 90s! It seems more punk to me now and less true Goth as in gothic architecture and literature. The 90s goth had more poetic souls and less anarchist politics.
I wasn’t goth myself, but many of my friends were. The goth community in Seattle was pretty strong in the 90s! You would have had to have been pretty sheltered not know a goth.
Tech Editor Tracy Straedter says that zombies are the new Goths.
Every time there’s some holiday or event, there is a zombie parade or so it seems. There was just one in Boston this past weekend for Youth Pride day.
Give us a good Goth story. Are you a Goth? Were you a Goth? Are zombies the new Goth? What does Goth mean to you?
- faeriepatronus likes this
- librascurio likes this
- coreybigbear reblogged this from discoverynews
- coreybigbear likes this
- mydarkmood reblogged this from discoverynews
- leppa-berries likes this
- wordupnerdup answered: my new favorite goth band.. TRUST. good songs, shoom or sulk. have an sad goth day….
- mlle-annetoinette reblogged this from fleurdelanuit
- sally--syrup reblogged this from discoverynews and added:
- rifkind-moonchild answered: Where I lived Goth and Death Punk merged. Goth to me was like Aadams Family. I think EMO has taken up a lot of Goth leanings,
- rifkind-moonchild reblogged this from discoverynews
- auntiemeloncollie reblogged this from discoverynews
- ianmachine likes this
- soulofawomanwascreatedbelow likes this
- on-the-looking-glass reblogged this from discoverynews
- on-the-looking-glass likes this
- teengothfantasy answered: Make way, Beebe is the new goth.
- posiebones answered: I am a proud goth and goth, to me, means finding the beauty in darkness and staying true to yourself.
- posiebones reblogged this from discoverynews
- stratocumulunimbus likes this
- glamorpussy reblogged this from discoverynews and added:
- abeautytobehold reblogged this from discoverynews
- geo-front likes this
- megnatron reblogged this from discoverynews
- electricgrit likes this
- parnassianbutterflies reblogged this from discoverynews
- jmimur likes this
- casual-way likes this
- insideyouwillfindnothing reblogged this from discoverynews
- you-can-have-whatever-you-like likes this
- eskimopam answered: 7th graders looking for an identity. same with witchcraft.
- hayleekitties likes this
- werewolf1992 reblogged this from discoverynews and added:
- meowgosaurus likes this
- chocolateraine likes this
- moth-club likes this
- fleurdelanuit reblogged this from discoverynews
- saltcitysundry reblogged this from discoverynews
- fleurdelanuit likes this
- mcmindstein reblogged this from discoverynews
- thischarmingdenis likes this
- stardustandwands likes this
- thekazzu likes this
- disco-dancer-donna likes this
- rojerk answered: My brother was goth. I have a “cyber-goth” friend. he’s installed blue and purple dreads and wears rave pants.
- madeonyou reblogged this from discoverynews and added:
- sandeh likes this
- sandwichpresss likes this
- discoverynews posted this