- We’ve all heard of supernovae, but what are “recurrent novae”?
In the case of the binary star system RS Ophiuchi, a small but dense white dwarf star orbits with a large, puffy red giant that is shedding huge quantities of matter. This matter is blasted into space in the form of a strong stellar wind, forming a spiral.
Interestingly, in this star system, the white dwarf captures some of the gas from its companion star, gradually accumulating it.
Once the gas reaches a critical mass and temperature, a massive explosion occurs, wiping out the expanding spiral. The process then repeats every 20 years or so.
- In 2010, the Hubble Space Telescope imaged a ghostly pinwheel spiral surrounding a binary star system called LL Pegasi.
This bizarre cosmic phenomenon is caused by one of the stars dying, venting huge amounts of gas and dust into space. As the stars orbit one another every 800 years, the material expands into space like water being sprayed from a spinning garden sprinkler.
- Meet R Sculptoris, a dying star that is shedding its outer layers of gas, generating a beautiful spiral of radio emissions. This amazing sight was captured by the newly commissioned Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) in the Chilean desert.
Although rare, this kind of space spiral isn’t unprecedented. In fact, there have been several spirals seen in recent years that have excited, spooked, but, above all, awed onlookers — here are a few of the most memorable.
- theepitomeofnothing likes this
- atrociousfubear reblogged this from tachyonsailer
- paulineintheskywithdiamonds reblogged this from fearbreeze
- electrontransfer reblogged this from istellar
- rrroberto reblogged this from noroominmybrain
- productofnostalgia reblogged this from iamtheslaughter
- sheephead reblogged this from iamtheslaughter
- livestrong-just-joel reblogged this from iamtheslaughter
- iamtheslaughter reblogged this from s3lb0at
- aetherizer reblogged this from discoverynews
- blissy-leaves reblogged this from sagansense
- giantboombastic reblogged this from discoverynews
- tatimeri reblogged this from tenchikeyes127
- mugglesseekersdoctorsohmy reblogged this from antoinettejeii
- flamingonipples likes this
- antoinettejeii reblogged this from tenchikeyes127
- dreamonjustin reblogged this from tenchikeyes127
- tenchikeyes127 reblogged this from ah-thenah
- tenchikeyes127 likes this
- ah-thenah reblogged this from sagansense
- 6hangdeath likes this
- halodarkknightcreed reblogged this from discoverynews
- that-guy-james reblogged this from discoverynews
- s3lb0at reblogged this from starryeyedmoonchild
- j5rson likes this
- lustermuse reblogged this from discoverynews
- eldetectivesalvaje likes this
- definingnormal reblogged this from 19turnsonawheel
- writeinthehead likes this
- superpotionproblem likes this
- sabrina-sweetheart-who likes this
- myvoicewillbeheardtodayy reblogged this from raindropprincess
- raindropprincess reblogged this from thelionstirs
- raindropprincess likes this
- thelionstirs reblogged this from discoverynews
- iskwewahk reblogged this from discoverynews
- zzcipherzz reblogged this from discoverynews
- sylphofsoul reblogged this from discoverynews
- chicforallseasons likes this
- ljubavd reblogged this from discoverynews
- ljubavd likes this
- melowhirl reblogged this from dream-crusher
- twiningsandtomatoes reblogged this from discoverynews
- iamthebadmoonmoon likes this
- shamanicwolf likes this
- sanctusflammae reblogged this from denyuudone
- pop-rocks-blowjob reblogged this from discoverynews and added:
- corruptedldata reblogged this from discoverynews
- creepaleep reblogged this from alittledoseofreality