Posts tagged dnews nuggets
The McDonald’s Burger Trick: Just how does McDonald’s make their burgers look juicy, big, tasty and delicious? That’s the question one of their consumers asks. And McDonald’s Toronto Director of MarketingHope Bagozzi takes it upon herself to take us to a photo shoot that unveils their secret.
You won’t look at a McDonald’s burger, for better or worse, the same again. Kudos to McDonald’s Canada for being so candid.
The video is fascinating. via Devour
Today’s DNews Nuggets has a bit of space, health and acne. All brought to you by Discovery News Editors.
Bel Air Rocket Man: How was your day today? Did it include racing around Bel Air in the cutting-edge of electric car technology while chatting about your rocket company to a Forbes journalist? No? Well, I’m not interested in talking to you. To Elon Musk, however, that’s just an average day. On an under-average day he’s forced to drive his Porsche to drop the kids off at school as the Roadster doesn’t have back seats. Let’s talk to him instead. via Forbes
Helicopter Parents Ruin Easter
Batman Stopped by Cops
Thyme for Acne
and more here
Our first day of Spring DNews Nuggets (brought to you by Discovery News Editors):
- Astronaut Hillary Clinton? At her remarks at an event celebrating Amelia Earhart and the United States’ ties to helping with the search effort, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told an anecdote about wanting to be an astronaut as a child. …”when we decided, under President Kennedy’s leadership, that our nation was going to go to the moon and we were going to have an astronaut program, I wanted to be an astronaut….” keep reading
- Ticks Like Mild Winters Too: As people and their pets across the country have been getting out more over unusually mild winter, so have the insects that like to suck our blood. Richard Pollack, a public health entomologist at the Harvard School of Public Health told the New York Times that the warm weather doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll face a worse tick season this year, but a longer one.. keep reading
- Wooden Skyscraper: Architect Michael Green of Vancouver is doing something radical. His firm is planning to build a 30-story skyscraper made of wood… keep reading
- Feel what it’s like to hitch a ride on a rocket. This video of a space shuttle launch is ‘epic.’
- Learn how a billion is not the same in Germany, France, the UK and the U.S.
- Daydreaming makes you smarter.
and much more in today’s Nugget-y goodness…brought to you by Discovery News Editors.
- “He lied to me,” Ira Glass said about Mike Daisey, who inspired a show on This American Life that has been retracted. The show focused on Foxconn.
- Get a pizza with that vasectomy.
- George Clooney makes getting arrested look dapper.
- Celebrate Hitchcock Day
All this and much more in this week’s DNews Nuggets — Little jewels of news brought to you by Discovery News Editors
In today’s DNews Nuggets, we look at:
- The video that solidifies the resurgence and popularity of the GIF (hello, Tumblr). And Happy Birthday to the 25-year-old GiF! (or is it JIF?)
- An informative guide to emoticons.
- The science of loose tennis strings.
- Lucy Lawless, the Former Xena, Warrior Princess gets arrested in New Zealand with Greenpeace activists. (photo: Lawless on the left with Greenpeace activists. credit: Nigel Marple/Greenpeace/AP)
- In Italy in 1962, scooter love was also science.
- And women wearing red are sending a message. What is it?
— all this and more in DNews Nuggets.
Say what you will about the Boy Scouts of America,, but sometimes they have some pretty practical suggestions about survival. This chart might seem apropos of nothing, but camping season is fast approaching and it could save a life. It’s a urine color chart, showing what color urine should be at different levels of hydration, basically so you know if you’re drinking enough. Note at the bottom, where it says “This color chart is not for clinical use.” You know, a rough guide. via flowingdata.com